Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25, 2010

Hey Family!

How's everyone doing? Good I hope. It sounds like things are starting to get back to normal. And glad to hear that Hawaii isn't the worst place on earth, lol.

And speaking of dogs-- not that we were, but anyway-- you never told me my dog is gone! :-( Of course I was expecting to hear that she was at some point before I got home.

But my week was very, very, very, very alright. :-) Not every week can be Super Amazing, but it was still a great week. The Gila Valley Temple was dedicated this past Sunday, which was broadcast in three different sessions (9am, 12pm, and 3pm) throughout Arizona and parts of New Mexico. It was really neat to see it. It's a very pretty temple. Of course, President Monson was there and it's always great to hear from him. He is a great man with a really great sense of humor. I enjoyed hearing him speak. Elder Moore and I thought it was great. Unfortunately to my knowledge at this point, none of our recently converted members were able to make it. :-( Almost all of them were planning on going, but some were sick, others had things come up, etc.

I thought it was really cool too, that, because there was no regular meeting, so many of the people that we teach really missed going to church. They really wanted to go, and so the fact that there was no church on Sunday disappointed them, and that impressed me. We'll see what happens next Sunday.

It's interesting, too, that we found out that some of our recently converted members are intimidated by the temple. That really shouldn't be the case. We spent a good deal of time trying to resolve some concerns about it, and found that the real problem was that they had misunderstandings about what the temple is actually for. After we shared more about what temples are for, what goes on there, and what it's like, they began to feel much more comfortable. Not very ironically, most non-members of the church have a hard time understanding temples as well. I usually point people with questions about it to mormon.org-- it has a lot of great insights.

Elder Eyering also spoke on the purposes of temples at the dedication. His talk was very good, and I learned a lot from his remarks as well.

We also had the chance to do some service this past week. We helped Robin and Serena get ready to move into their new house just, for example. They're moving just down the road. We helped them clean some junk out of their new yard and haul it off to the dump. (Yeah, garbage dumps don't smell good by the way.)

Other than that we've been trying to find and teach people. So far so good. We still have some great people that we are teaching.

We started teaching a guy named Jaime (it's a spanish name-- pronounced hi-me rather than Jay-me). He's really awesome. He loves the church and has been attending services for a few months now. He's read the Book of Mormon once through, and is currently reading it a second time. He has really great faith and is a great example to his family. And he's only 15 or so. I wish I had been like Jaime at his age. :-)

.....It's not too hot-- it's actually been one of the coolest summers thus far. Yesterday it was only in the 80's. We call that a miracle. :-)

That's about it for here. Things are going well still.
Did you tell Michael he's getting a bad deal? lol. Oh well. BTW: Where is he going to school? BYU-I? I may change my mind yet. lol.

Love you all, and hope you have a great week.

--Uncle Elder Jason Mace
The coolest missionary uncle from
Texas in the Oh-No mission

P.S. So, I just looked over and saw "Black Belt" magazine sitting on the shelf next to me, and I have to say that it's really torturing me. Just wanted to let you know. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment