Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Now for his letter November 24. 2009

How's everything going?
Good I hope!
I got an email from Joe, to which I sent you my response to send to him. I think it speaks for itself. At least He has a sense of humor. :-D
So, sounds like things are going well. I actually have heard of mom's calling before, but I had no idea what it was until about four minutes ago when I read the email. Sounds like it will keep her busy. :-)
Kellie's pianist in RS, huh? No surprise there. And they still haven't called a bishop? What is taking so long? I guess that have to send a letter to the first presidency and they have to send a letter back before they can even interview the future bishop and extend the call. But still, it's been a long time, it seems like.
Anyway, we have a baptism on Saturday! Travis recently moved into a house with three other guys, all of whom happen to be return missionaries. When he moved in, he asked his room-mates not to talk about their religion with him-- he wasn't interested. But he agreed to live by their standards: no drinking, no smoking, etc. The changes were a little hard for him, but he managed to do it. His room-mates agreed to not bring up the church, but in a short time Travis started asking them questions. They eventually invited him to church, and he accepted and came. At church they introduced him to us and we started teaching him. He was already right on track to get baptized. He has a great testimony and a desire to become better.
We had Zone Leader Council meeting yesterday as well. It was really a good meeting, mostly focused on the Christmas lights at the temple and how our mission can become more united and more "Zion-like." On Friday us Zone Leaders will be going to the opening night of Christmas lights to get a feel for it. We will be doing exactly what the other missionaries will be doing later (which is what I did last year: stand and as people walk by talk to them and invite them to learn more about the gospel). After that, we will be mostly just walking around collecting referral cards, motivating people, and what-not. It should be a lot of fun, I'm really excited. I just hope it doesn't rain.
The miracle of the week: I got an impression to stop by David's house this week. Elder Gomez and I taught David for a long time, and he was suppose to get baptized but didn't quit smoking cigars in time. Then Elder Page came, and he suddenly started avoiding us. He stopped coming to church, he wouldn't answer the door for us (even when we knew he was home) and he wouldn't even answer our phone calls. In fact, he wouldn't even answer any phone calls from his friends in the church. We finally stopped trying to go by or call. Well, this week I strongly felt like we needed to go back and try him again. I didn't know why, because I figured he'd still just ignore us. But Elder Seaborn and I went. Something changed, because when we knocked on his door, he warmly welcomed us and invited us in. It turns out that he will be moving to Pheonix soon because of financial problems, so it's a good thing we caught him. We can teach him a few times, get his new address, and then turn him over to the other missionaries.
Well, that's about all for this week. I got a CD of pictures made. I'll mail it as soon as I can.
Love you all,
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment