Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 12, 2010

ok, so I thought I would put in part of our "chatting" emails so you could see just how much fun we have weekly with our missionary....


Hello family!
It sounds like everyone's had a good week. And by the way, I always did like Alexandra! :-D Does Elisha like Joe? (Before 'lisha answers, make sure he knows that it will affect our buddy status :-P Just joking.)
No, we aren't allowed to get onto other websites. I didn't know there even was a site or blog (or whatever it is) for the Mesa Mission. That's great! I'll have to check it out when I get home. I'm sure you already bookmarked it, but it you didn't, please do.
Our week here was pretty good. We set some baptismal dates this week, which is always very exciting. Setting dates it always so different, depending on where you are. In Apache Junction people always say yes, but in a "sure we can maybe TRY to shoot for that." Here people are a little more reluctant to set a date because they are a little more serious about it-- or so it seems to me. The two people we committed this week were both nervous about being able to acheive the date. Which, to me, is actually a really good sign. We just had to reassure both of them that they could do it.
The first was really neat. His name is Russell. His son and daughter in law are converts to the church, and for years they talked to him about the church, and for years he wanted nothing to do with it. Finally he came to live with them, and he began to go to church with them. I was in High Preist Group meeting (yeah, I know. . . . long story) and his son in law said "Elder, when are you going to come by and teach my dad? He wants to get baptized." I thought he was joking. That never happens. So I smiled. But he didn't. I realized he was being serious. After the class was over, I ran over and set up an appointment. Russell confirmed that he did in fact want to eventually get baptized after he had learned more about the church. We went over Thursday night and taught him about the restoration, and I extended a baptism date for the January 30th, 2010. I'm sure it shocked everyone there-- a date on the first lesson-- but if I ever met a prepared person, this was one. He was hesitant and said he wasn't sure he could learn everything in time. We explained that that wasn't what was important. He had the desire, and this was a goal we could help him acheive. He accepted the date and tonight we are going over to his house to calander out the date with him.
The second date was with Bervina (Bur-Vee-Nah). She has gone through a rough time financially and emotionally this past week. The bishop and the Releif society president were very helpful in helping her get things worked out. We taught her about the plan of salvation, from living with God before we came to earth (See Titus 1:1-2, it's one of my favorites) to coming to earth, to the atonement of Jesus Christ. It was a good lesson-- aside from the kids running around and yelling, lol-- and after teaching about Christ we extended a baptismal date for January 30th. She gave the same humble reaction that Russell gave-- she didn't know if she would be ready in time. We again assured her that she could be, that we knew she could be, and she accepted.
I really love the people in this area. Many have a sincere desire to follow Christ, and they humbly try to do what's right. We've seen a lot of miracles. Our next baptism is scheduled for the 23rd of January-- if Juanita quits drinking coffee. I have faith she did. :-)
So things are going well here. I'm really excited about the work. We are struggling a little bit with finding new people to teach, but we will get that going better when I figure out the area better. I still have no idea what's what here. . . . I really don't like trying to learn new areas. Hopefully I'll be here for a while.
That's the quick update on things here in Mesa, Arizona.
Love you Dad,
Love you Mom,
Love you Kassie,
Love you Kellie,
Love you Kaydee,
Lo... lo... love (got it out) you Alex,
Your favorite son/brother/missionary (I hope-- the last one might not be true, lol)--Jason

and now from Kaydee.....
hey jas!
i just read the first part of your letter, and to answer if lisha likes joe.... he just threw up everywhere when joe was watching him ;)I'm gonna go finish reading your letter now -your REAL fave sis!(the one who refuses to get married or have babies while you're gone :D)

Jason's reply....
lol. YAY 'LISHA!!! I always liked him. :-) And my little sister who doesn't break promises like other sisters do, lol.
But really, though, how's Joe? Is he pretty cool? Is he really as thin as he is in the picture? (lol)
(note: this would be the wanted poster that was posted earlier)

And now from dad...
That is very cool about Russel... Sooo what were you doing in High Priests, get a promotion, I didn't know about?

And Jason's reply....
Yup, I'm now the HP Group leader. lol. No, I had to go with the WML, cause my comp and I were on exchanges. We have two wards that meet at the same time.

And from Joe.... (the futur brother in law)
Hello this is Joe, and yes I am as handsome and good looking as my picture depicts.

And of course, Jason's reply....
Alma 13:13
which says... "and now my brethren, I would that ye should humble yourselves before God...."

I've gotta go in just a second, my time is almost up.
--Jason

**** Yes, so this is why we look forward to our weekly emails from Jason. You gotta love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment